Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mandy's Menagerie- SUPER SPECIAL POST


Mandy's Menagerie- Special Edition Blog Post!

Hello mes amis! I'm sure you know by now that I'm in love with animals and you can probably guess that my fellow interns are pretty sick of me stopping them in the street every five seconds to look at a chicken, lizard, goat, etc. I even get distracted when I'm talking with prisoners because they have farm animals in the prison yard! The guards/my coworkers always laugh at me because I am constantly (and often, I might add, successfully) trying to pick up the little baby chickens at the prison. (Side note: in French, chickens are called “poulet” and chicks are called “poussin”)

Anyway, I thought I'd dedicate one of my blog posts to my much-loved animal friends.

Monsieur Le Crocodile:

I finally got a picture of Monsieur Le Crocodile in all his reptilian majesty. For some reason, The Mission decided to drain his pool a few days ago, so him and his roommate, the prehistoric gigantic turtle, were stranded on dry/muddy land :( Don't worry, he has water again now! But I did manage to take advantage of the opportunity to get some frighteningly close-up photographs of my handsome scaly-tailed boyfriend:




Bats bats bats

Next, I've been observing the bat colony in the back of the Mission. The locals don't like them very much but I think they're AWESOME.
I can't get very good pictures of them flying, even with my zoom lens, so here's one of them in the trees!




MONKEY!!

This is my pet monkey. The guys who “own” him call him Boo Boo, but my name for him is Mr. Knightley. He doesn't give a shit if he perpetuates stereotypes- he will eat all the bananas. He's hungry.



He's called a Campbell's Monkey, but he doesn't like labels.

Last, but not least... GECKOS



How cool are these guys? This one hangs out on the ceiling by the lights at night ready to nom nom nom on some tasty weird bug things.

OH WAIT one more! Adorable kitten. Because kittens are universally good.  


5 comments:

  1. the monkey section is hilarious! the animals seem wonderful, thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kittens ARE universally good....but not nearly as amazing as your Campbells monkey lol i cracked up when I read that.

    Btw, I would die if i saw that many crickets/bugs/things on one wall (see gecko)...you are one brave hamster

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not to bring ANY of those animals home. If you do, they will be on the next plane to Washington DC. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting website. Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning how are you?

    My name is Emilio, I am a Spanish boy and I live in a town near to Madrid. I am a very interested person in knowing things so different as the culture, the way of life of the inhabitants of our planet, the fauna, the flora, and the landscapes of all the countries of the world etc. in summary, I am a person that enjoys traveling, learning and respecting people's diversity from all over the world.

    I would love to travel and meet in person all the aspects above mentioned, but unfortunately as this is very expensive and my purchasing power is quite small, so I devised a way to travel with the imagination in every corner of our planet. A few years ago I started a collection of letters addressed to me in which my goal was to get at least 1 letter from each country in the world. This modest goal is feasible to reach in the most part of countries, but unfortunately it’s impossible to achieve in other various territories for several reasons, either because they are countries at war, either because they are countries with extreme poverty or because for whatever reason the postal system is not functioning properly.

    For all this I would ask you one small favour:
    Would you be so kind as to send me a letter by traditional mail from Guinea? I understand perfectly that you think that your blog is not the appropriate place to ask this, and even, is very probably that you ignore my letter, but I would call your attention to the difficulty involved in getting a letter from that country, and also I don’t know anyone neither where to write in Guinea in order to increase my collection. a letter for me is like a little souvenir, like if I have had visited that territory with my imagination and at same time, the arrival of the letters from a country is a sign of peace and normality and a original way to promote a country in the world. My postal address is the following one:

    Emilio Fernandez Esteban
    Calle Valencia, 39
    28903 Getafe (Madrid)
    Spain

    If you wish, you can visit my blog www.cartasenmibuzon.blogspot.com, where you can see the pictures of all the letters that I have received from whole World.

    Finally I would like to thank the attention given to this letter, and whether you can help me or not, I send my best wishes for peace, health and happiness for you, your family and all your dear beings.

    Yours Sincerely

    ReplyDelete